Inclusion is respect. Inclusion is feeling and being valued.
Pulitzer Book Club Inclusion Guide
GET THE BOOK
"The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway
• Suffering Marilyn Monroe stars in “Some Like It Hot”
• Kinsey's “Sexual Behavior in the Human Female” published
• George Washington Carver national monument dedicated
Hemingway the adventurer survived multiple plane crashes, bullfights, and big game hunting in Africa and the sea near Key West. He lived for a time on a farm near Havana and had a lifelong fascination with baseball. His work as a journalist no doubt influenced his stripped-to-the bone style.
Featured Reader Wanted!
– Share your key take-away about inclusion in this book in a sentence or two.
– Write a paragraph or two (up to 250 words) to describe your thoughts on exclusion/inclusion in the book, why you related or did not connect with the book, and why you think reading, inclusion and dialog about inclusion matter.
– Identify the name and website address of a cause you support with an inclusive mission.
Old Cuban fisherman fights marlin, mentors boy, loves NY Yankees
Keep the shark imagery out of your head. Remember when the Old man thrills at his first sight of the marlin leaping from the sea.
The spare essential voice of Hemmingway shines the light on the relationship between man and nature.
Very short, completely captivating. 127 pages; 3 CDs
Resolution. Skills, effort, strength, creativity, suffering, joy, and endurance are not enough.
Characters are poor Cuban fisherman and small biz guys who provide things like coffee and bait on credit.
Nothing but water for an unreasonably long time. Then raw fish that’s not presented like sushi or sashimi. Finally, share your rice and beans, fried bananas and stew with someone who needs compassion.
“Let him think I am more of a man than I am and I will be so.”
On a boat or place with a view of the sea. Or a room with some nautical nods.
Discuss justice and injustice among civilians in the novel, aboard The Caine and at the trial.
Havana isn’t the easiest place to enter, so go to Key West for real or online. The tour of Hemingway’s house is a must; fishing is optional. Buy the tee shirt at Hemingway’s favorite bar, Sloppy Joe’s. Alternatively, go to Yankee stadium.
1990, 1958 "The Old Man and The Sea" (films), “Hemingway” PBS 2021
2014 “Ernest Hemingway on Hunting and Fishing”